Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Blain's Moss


Each time we visit Delamere Forest I make a point of taking some photographs of one or two of the ancient meres and mosses which are currently coming back to life as part of the exciting restoration project which has been going on for a few years now. This is one of the smallest of them all:

Blain's Moss is in a tiny hollow tucked away in the Forest near Hatchmere corner. I never knew about it until this restoration project began and the name caught my eye when I was looking at one of the information boards. It is named after one of the best loved characters of the Forest, Mam Blain who lived in this fascinating little cottage close to the moss and was a friend and foster mam of lots of children of my mother's generation.
Photo: (Tom Wright)

Mam Blain's story, though I know precious little of it, inspired the creation of Mam Tunstall in my novel, Leaving Gilead. So this Moss, named in her honour, is quite special for me.  


2 comments:

lizy-expat-writer said...

It looks so timeless despite being recently re-created. I shall be buying your book when I return to England - I could buy it from here but it would cost double with the postage!

Robert Crompton said...

Thanks for dropping by, Liz. Hope you enjoy the read when you get it!