Saturday, 27 June 2015

Hard at work this week...

Writing always involves essential research. So, earlier this week Margaret and I took ourselves off for a couple of days for a trip along the Kennet and Avon Canal. This is Freddie, the boathorse, towing the barge at a leisurely pace along the waterway:





And here he is taking a break while we go through locks:
He's a lovely, good-natured animal who happily wanders quite freely around browsing on the grass and vegetation until he has to get back to work pulling the barge.


And now, back at my desk, I can see much more clearly how to write a short section of my novel in which Solomon Whitaker takes his empty barge back up the Weaver Navigation after unloading at Frodsham. I need more of these essential research sessions.


1 comment:

lizy-expat-writer said...

Ilove the leisurely pace of a canal barge though I wouldn't want to live on one full time as friends of ours did. Too small a space tl=o share with a snorer, for one thing!