Monday, 10 March 2014

The Heron and the Carpenter


I have just completed part one of my current novel. It feels as if it has taken a long time to get to this stage, but checking back, I realise that it's only just over a year since I began. An excerpt which I posted right at the beginning, not intending it to be an actual chapter did, in the end, form the basis of my opening chapter. Judy, the central character soon began to emerge from my initial imaginings and has become more dominant than I expected at the start.
So how does it go from here? I'll leave it for a few days before starting part two and in the meantime I'll be thinking about a possible cover and title. Until now the working title has been Whitaker's Basin but that will have to change. Judy has been working through her ancestor Solomon Whitaker's laboriously written story so another motif has come to the fore. At the moment something like, The Heron and the Carpenter feels right. It'll be something along those lines.
My timetable? Full first draft to be finished by the early autumn. Editing, getting feedback, further editing through the winter. And then by this time next year it should be ready to launch.
Until then, here's a photo. It's Black Lake, a magical place tucked away in Delamere Forest near where a lot of the action takes place. Look closely at that photo. Can you see the heron? Or the carpenter? Judy can “see” them.

2 comments:

lizy-expat-writer said...

You do have some stunning places around you to inspire your novels!

Robert Crompton said...

We certainly have. And what you don't see in the photo is that this is a specially good place for dragon flies - must make sure I get some good pics this season.