Friday, 31 August 2012

Quaking Bog at Hatchmere

This is Hatchmere, at Norley in Cheshire. It's one of the many meres and mosses for which this area is notable. And it's one of my very many favourite places. Click on the photo to see it full size.


I vaguely recall hearing, as a small child, a scary story about this place. Something terrible had happened here though I'm not sure that I ever knew exactly what. But we didn't go swimming in Hatchmere, or wandering round the far side.

The far side of the mere is the really interesting part. Large areas of it around the water's edge, are schwingmoor or quaking bog. That's a raft of vegetation based upon moss and floating on the surface of the water. Naturally, the thickness of the raft varies and in places it won't take very much weight at all. So you don't wander out off the way-marked path unless you know what you are doing.

Hatchmere appears in my novel as Hartsmere and when Susan finally breaks free of the religious prison that had been her family home, she hears a hint of a scary story about Hartsmere. It doesn't get developed. It simply serves to highlight the fact that scary though her own new situation is, she has good friends who will help.

One day, though, I will pick up some of the intriguing stories of this area which I have come across whilst writing my novel.

2 comments:

lizy-expat-writer said...

Rob - that's not fair! You talk about a scary story and don't research further. Presumably it's about someone falling through the quaking bog mat, but we want details please!
Good to have you back.

Rob Crompton said...

Liz, you guessed right. I'll post one or two more snippets over the next couple of weeks or so.This bit might just be in - if I can do it without giving away too much of my story. :)