Monday, 21 November 2011

Planning ahead

Help! I've committed myself to finishing the first draft of The Snig's Foot by next May. There's not really a vast amount left to do, only about 20.000 words or thereabouts, so it shouldn't be an insurmountable task. There will be a couple of big chunks of time taken out of that so I need to plan for how I'll match my projected work to the calendar.

And here's what I'm going to do: I'll divide the work into sections, not according to length, but according to events. Then, if I get towards the end of January, say, and I'm slipping behind I won't think, hey, I've got so many words to catch up. I will switch to italics and finish the section in note form. Then February can start where it is supposed to. Just to let you know, then, summer will be in January.

And now I had better get on with it because Tom Sparrow has to make up his about how much of what he is getting drawn into he will tell Louise, his girlfriend, before she returns from a six months secondment to a Ugandan hospital. Could be tricky.

3 comments:

Patsy said...

Your way of dividing up the remaining writing seems very sensible. I find a rigid structure is good if I keep to it, but demoralising if I slip behind.

Lexia said...

Better to be thinking about events than numbers of words, I agree.
Your character seems to be in a bit of a dilemma. Hope he manages to deal with it (or not, depending on the storyline ! )

Seaview said...

That definitely seems like a good approach. Good luck with meeting your schedule!