Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Watch out for that copyright issue!


I have a notebook. Well, I have several, of course - most writers do - but this one is rather special because it is really nicely bound in leather. And it was a Christmas present from friends in France. This is it in the photo here.

Now, there is nothing in this notebook, apart from the jottings which I am putting in there. It's just lots of blank pages. No conversion tables, calendars, useful lists or the like which some notebooks put in the back. Nothing. Except that I have just noticed this inside the back cover:

"(c) 2006 Hartley and Marks Publishers Inc. All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced without written permission from the publisher."

Wow! Maybe this photo infringes copyright. Or maybe, bearing in mind that the pages are all blank, on those days when I don't actually do any writing I am thereby infringing this publisher's copyright.

Or maybe in an age when corporate bullies so readily try the copyright stunt, reputable companies should avoid daft things like this.

No comments: