Monday, 10 May 2010

Variations of stories

I came across this story today on Ham Radio Humour

An old, old ham was lying in his death bed upstairs. His most
favorite food in the world was chocolate chip cookies. As he lay there, gasping for each breath, he was sure he could smell freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies. He crawled out of bed and slowly limped down the stairs. Sure enough, across the kitchen, there was a huge platter of chocolate chip cookies on the table. He finally made it to the table and he reached a shaking hand towards the cookies. Suddenly, his XYL slapped his hand sharply and yelled,
"DON'T TOUCH THOSE-they're for the funeral!"

What I find particularly interesting is that this looks very much like variation of a story which my Grandma used to tell - except that Grandma told the tale about her great uncle Manasseh. When the old man was lying in his death bed he heard one of the young men of the family who had just come into the house. Seeing a very appetising ham hanging in the pantry he said to the soon-to-be widow, "Let's have a piece of that ham."

"Leave that alone," the old lady replied. "I'm saving that for the funeral."

On hearing this, Uncle Manasseh came downstairs, pointed to the ham and said, "Get that down. I'm going to have that for my tea."

I had always assumed this was a true story since Grandma told it as if she had been there at the time. So I'd be very interested to find out whether anyone knows of any other variations

No comments: