Tuesday, 9 March 2010

Honesty Project

I came across this while cyber-skiving:

"I want to get to know you better and am eager to try an experiment. Are you up for an excercise in honesty that demands you to say one truthful thing about yourself every single day for one week?" Read the full post hereGodless Girl

I'm game for this, so here goes: I'm a methodist minister firmly placed at the liberal end of the spectrum - about as far as it is possible to go without stepping off altogether. So I often find that I am much more in sympathy with  skeptics and secularists than with many Christians. For the sake of a quiet life (I'm retiring soon) I frequently groan inwardly at some of the things which believers say, and then keep my counsel.

So, Godless Girl, I'm up for your challenge. It links in, actually with what I posted a little while back about my alter ego intruding upon my persona as a novelist.

3 comments:

GodlessGirl said...

I appreciate reading this very much! And not just because I happen to be secular, but also because I feel a kinship with believers who want to see people use their brains just as much with their faith as anything else. There's a whole lot of "facepalming" going on in the liberal Christian camp--that I know.

Thank you for taking the challene, and I look forward to reading more!

XSarenkaX said...

I'm intrigued by this revelation. I, too, am secular, but never thought about how personal opinions might sometimes clash with a minister's official religious stance.

Would you care to share some of the things that you've heard that made you "groan"?

Rob Crompton said...

Late response to your comment, XSarenkaX:

A couple of things which make me groan: When believers naively ascribe their own good fortune to divine intervention in the face of other innocent folk who continue to suffer.
And the insistence that when Rabbi Jesus was crucified he was being punished on our behalf and made it possible for god to forgive us.

As for the conflict between personal beliefs and more widely held beliefs, in a church with a broad range of styles of belief it is not a case of being out of step with the 'official stance', but rather of occupying a very lonely position along the spectrum.
I couldn't belong to a church with a very closely defined doctrinal base. (I grew up in such a movement and got booted out for thinking for myself.)