Sunday, 15 February 2009

Advertising?

Oh dear, I've just had my wrist slapped for self-advertising. I sometimes log on to a forum for ex-Jehovah's Witnesses - which seems a pretty reasonable thing to do especially since my first published book was an academic study of that movement. I hardly ever say much about my book, but I will post something if it's relevant in answer to a query.
So when someone posted a message asking for information about the connection between William Miller, the 19th century American adventist preacher and Charles Taze Russell, the founder of the movement that eventually became the JWs, I posted a link to my book. Seemed reasonable, particularly since my book contains the only detailed academic treatment of the Miller/Russell link that is readily available.
The forum administrator didn't like that and sent me a warning. No advertising. You meant well, but don't do it again. Okay, I won't. Well, I might not. I'll get back to my novel.

2 comments:

Louise Wise said...

I thought that was what blogging was all about - self advertising. Strange.
:)
Nice blog, Rob.

realfoodlover said...

It sounds as if your book would be a valuable and legitimate addition to the discussion.

Thank you for commenting on my writing rules. Re using a thesaurus: I liked the advice to find your own words rather than someone else's.